Notes About Working with Various Arduino & Netduino Microcontroller Boards

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Arduino Galileo Setup Error on Linux (invalid mode '+111')

I've had an Arduino Galileo (1st generation) board for more than a year, but I haven't done much with it.  I decided that I would perhaps get more use out of it if I could cross-compile C/C++ code to run on it.

To get the necessary version of gcc that servers as the crosscompiler, I downloaded the Linux version of the Arduino IDE for Intel from the Intel site and tried to install it on a virtual machine running Fedora 21, but the script that installs the Intel compiler and tools (arduino-1.5.3/hardware/tools/install_script.sh) kept terminating with an error. This script is run by the IDE the first time you try to compile a sketch. You have to run this script before you can work with the compiler and tools at the command line to cross-compile code for the Galileo.  The error message said

find: invalid mode '+111'

I found the solution to the problem in a post by Sulamita on the Intel Community discussion board. Her solution (changing +111 to /111 on line 111 of the script) fixed the problem for me.  I changed line 111 from

executable_files=$($SUDO_EXEC find "$native_sysroot" -type f -perm +111 -exec printf "\"%s\" " {} \; )

to

executable_files=$($SUDO_EXEC find "$native_sysroot" -type f -perm /111 -exec printf "\"%s\" " {} \; )

I can now compile C code for the Galileo following the steps show in the PDF "Quick Start Guide for Using Intel Compiler to Build Applications Targeting Quark SoC on Galileo Board."  (By the way, I boot my Galileo from an image on an SD card. The image is available at the Intel Support and Downloads site for Galileo.)

3 comments:

  1. I have ubuntu 16.04 and i tried changing the same in hardware/tool/install file but couldnt get the galileo to work.It is constantly throwing the same error.Kindly help me upload code onto galileo gen2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ubuntu 16.04 and i tried changing the same in hardware/tool/install file but couldnt get the galileo to work.It is constantly throwing the same error.Kindly help me upload code onto galileo gen2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. try to edit the script and run it on terminal

      Delete